|Division||Department of Comparative Contemporary Societies|
|Research fields||Comparative Sociology(Education, Labor Market, and Social Stratification in East Asia)|
|CV||Shin Arita(June 2013) [126 KB]|
Teaching and Research Appointments
|April 2009 − March 2012||Associate Professor, Institute of Social Science, University of Tokyo|
|August 2010 − June 2011||Visiting Scholar, Center for the Study of Poverty and Inequality, Stanford University|
|April 2012 −||Professor, Institute of Social Science, The University of Tokyo|
Topics of research
- 1Comparative Analysis of Positional Inequalities
- 2Education, Labor Market and Social Stratification in Japan, Korea, and Taiwan
- 3Educational System and Social Stratification in South Korea
- 4Relationship between Area Studies and Social Science
Publications (2012- )
- “Policies on the Development of Human Resources in the Era of Globalization in Korea (in Japanese),” in Yoshio Higuchi et al eds, Human Resource Development in Japan from a Comparative Perspective, Tokyo: Nihon Keizai Hyoronsha, pp.107-127, October 2012.
- “Panel Data Analysis with Distinction of the Direction and Path of Changes and the Status of Unchanges: An Analysis of Income Changes Following Employment Status Changes(in Japanese),” Sociological Theory and Methods, Vol.28, pp.69-85, March 2013.
- “A Sociological Analysis of Wage Inequality between Regular and Non-regular Employment Using Panel Data: Beyond the Trap of Controlling for Unobserved Heterogeneity(in Japanese),” Discussion Paper Series, No.68, The ISS Panel Survey Project, The University of Tokyo, 19p, March 2013.
- “Anxiety-ridden Japanese Society and the Difficulty of Becoming an Adult The Results of the Japanese Life Course Panel Survey (JLPS) 2012(in Japanese),”(with Hiroshi Ishida, Shunsuke Tanabe, and Masao Oshima) Discussion Paper Series, No.65, The ISS Panel Survey Project, The University of Tokyo, 9p, March 2013.
- “Does Social Media Change Societies?: The2012 Japan?Korea Joint Panel at the Annual Meeting of the Japan Sociological Society.” (with Jun Kobayashi) International Journal of Japanese Sociology, Vol.22, No.1, pp.178-80, March 2013.
Selected publications ( -2011)
- “A Time-series Analysis on Decisive Factors of the Demand for Higher Education in Korea (in Korean),” International Journal of Korean Studies, pp.203-217, March 2001.
- Takayasu Nakamura, Takeshi Fujita and Shin Arita eds, Comparative Sociology of Educational Career, Selection and School: Education in Japan and Korea (in Japanese),(edited with Takayasu Nakamura and Takeshi Fujita) Tokyo: Toyokan, 276p, March 2002.
- “The Growth of the Korean Middle Class and Its Social Consciousness,”The Developing Economies, Vol.41, No.2, pp.201-220, June 2003.
- “Impact of Globalization on Social Mobility in Japan and Korea: Focusing on Middle Classes in Fluid Societies,”(with Yoshimichi Sato) International Journal of Japanese Sociology, 13: pp.36-52, November 2004.
- “A Comparative Study of Occupational Aspirations in Korea and Japan,” KEDI Journal of Educational Policy, Vol.2, No.1, pp.51-68, June 2005.
- “A Comparative Study of Occupational Consciousness and ‘Educational Fever’ (in Korean),” In Jonggak Lee ed, Educational Fever in Korea and the World, Seoul: Hawoo, pp.427-51, July 2005.
- Education and Social Stratification in South Korea: An Empirical Approach to the ‘School Credential Society’ (in Japanese), Tokyo: University of Tokyo Press, 336p, March 2006. Awarded Encouraging Prize for Studies on Developing Countries, Young Author Award of the Japan Society of Educational Sociology, and Young Author Award of the Japan Sociological Society
- “A Comparative Study of Status Attainment and Educational Selection System in Korea and Japan (in Korean),” Performative Humanities, Vol.37, No.2, pp.73-93, November 2007.
- “Globalization, Local Institutions, and Middle Class: Comparison of Social Mobility of Middle Class between Japan and Korea (in Korean),”(with Yoshimichi Sato) In Yong-hak Kim et al eds, Social Inclusion and Exclusion in East Asia, Seoul: Yonsei University Press, pp.345-362, February 2008.
- Dynamics of Social Stratification in East Asia: 2005 SSM survey reports, no.13 (in Japanese),(edited) Tokyo: 2005 SSM Chosa Kenkyukai, 232p, March 2008.
- “A Comparative Study of Social Stratification in East Asian Societies: The Reward Differences between Occupation and Social Inequality (in Japanese),” Japanese Sociological Review, Vol.59, No. 4, pp.663-81, March 2009.
- “Social Prestige System in Contemporary Korea (in Japanese),” Culture and Society in Korea, Vol.8, pp.84-107, October 2009.
- “Structural Change and Inter/Intra-Generational Mobility in Self-Employment,” in Yoshimichi Sato and Jun Imai eds, Japan’s New Inequality, Trans Pacific Press, pp. 96-118, February 2011.
- “Inequalities in the Labor Market with Focus on the Concept of ‘Non-standard Workers’ in Korea: A Comparison with Japan (in Japanese),” The Journal of Social Science, Vol.62, No.3&4, pp.77-97, March 2011.
- “Expansion of Higher Education and Job Opportunities for the Youth (in Japanese),” In Akihiko Higuchi et al eds, Youth Problem from the Perspective of Education, Employment, and Social Security, Tokyo: Hosei University Press, pp.3-30, March 2011.
- “Social Stratification in East Asian Countries from an Institutional Perspective: Focusing on Positional Inequalities at the Labor Market” Proceedings of International Conference on “Internal Cleavages and Social Peace in East Asia” (Korean Sociological Association), pp.67-96, June 2011.
- “A Comparison of Social Stratification in East Asia (in Japanese),” In Hiroshi Ishida et al eds, Contemporary Stratified Society 2: The Structure of Social Stratification and Mobility, Tokyo: The University of Tokyo Press, pp.273-287, September 2011.
Educational Activities in 2013
|Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, University of Tokyo||Seminar on Asian Societies|
|Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology, University of Tokyo||Seminar on Contemporary Korean Society|
|Faculty of Law, Keio University||Social Stratification Studies I, Social Stratification Studies II|