|Division||Department of Comparative Contemporary Economics|
|Research fields||Economic History, Business History, Comparative Institutional Analysis|
Teaching and Research Appointments
|April 1995 -
|April 1998 -
|Research Associate, Graduate School of Economics, The University of Tokyo.|
|April 1999 -
|Associate Professor, Department of Economics, Chiba University.|
|April 2002 -
|Associate Professor, Graduate School of Economics, Osaka University.|
|April 2008 -
|Associate Professor, Institute of Social Science, The University of Tokyo|
|April 2014 -||Professor, Institute of Social Science, The University of Tokyo|
Topics of research
- 1Economic history
- 2Business history
- 3Comparative institutional analysis
Publications (2015- )
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- Masaki Nakabayashi, Kyoji Fukao, Masanori Takashima and Naofumi Nakamura, “Property systems and economic growth in Japan, 730-1874,” Social Science Japan Journal, 23(2), Summer 2020, pp. 147-184
- Masaki Nakabayashi, “The thin line between economic dynamism and social stability: Regulation and deregulation in Japan (Twelfth to nineteenth century),” in Kaveh Yazdani and Dilip M. Menon, Capitalisms: Towards a Global History, New Delhi: Oxford University Press, January 2020, pp. 277-305.
- Masaki Nakabayashi, “Ownership structure and market efficiency: Stockholder/manager conflicts at the dawn of Japanese capitalism,” Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, 61, pp. 189-212, July 2019. Open Access by Elsevier: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intfin.2019.03.003
- Masaki Nakabayashi, “From family security to the welfare state: Path dependency of social security on the difference in legal origins,” Economic Modelling, 82, pp. 280-293, November 2019. Open access by Elsevier: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.econmod.2019.01.011
- Yu Mandai and Masaki Nakabayashi, “Stabilize the peasant economy: Governance of foreclosure by the Shogunate,” Journal of Policy Modeling, 40(2), pp. 305-327, March-April 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpolmod.2018.01.007
- Masaki Nakabayashi, “From the substance to the shadow: The role of the court in Japanese labour markets,” The Economic History Review, 71(1), pp. 267-289, February 2018. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/ehr.12432
- Masaki Nakabayashi, “Contained crisis and socialized risk: Unconventional monetary policy by the Bank of Japan in the 1890s,” Research in International Business and Finance, 40, pp. 231-241, April 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ribaf.2017.01.008
- Masaki Nakabayashi, “Honesty, diligence, and skill: Risk sharing and specialization in the Kiryu silk weaving cluster, Japan,” Review of Development Economics, 21(4), pp. 1401-1424, November 2017. http://doi.org/10.1111/rode.12282
Selected publications ( -2014)
- “Agrarian Land Tenancy in Prewar Japan: Contract Choice and Implications on Productivity,’ (with Arimoto, Yutaka, Tetsuji Okazaki) The Developing Economies, 48 (3), pp. 293-318, 2010.
- “Seisan Soshiki to Roudou Soshiki to Kigyou Bunka”, pp.55-79, Takeshi Abe and Naofumi Nakamura, eds., Koza Nihon Keieishi 2: Sangyou Kakumei to Kigyou Keiei: 1882〜1914 (Business History of Japan 2, Management in the Industrial Revolution, 1882-1914), Kyoto: Minerva, February, 2010.
- Satoshi Sasaki and Masaki Nakabayashi, eds., Koza Nihon Keieishi 3: Soshiki to Senryaku no Jidai: 1914-1937 (Business History of Japan 3, The Era of Strategy and Structure, 1914-1937), Kyoto: Minerva, September, 2010.
- “Sangyou Shuuseki no Soshiki: Kiryu Orimonogyou ni okeru Oeimoto to Chinbata no Torihiki Kankei, (Organizations in a industrial cluster: Putting-out system in the Kiryu weaving cluster”, pp.201-217, “Tajigenteki na Shigoto to Yuuin no Seigyo: 20 Seiki Shotou ni okeru Kindai Seishigyou no Keiekn (Multidimensional tasks and incentive controls: An experience in the modern silk reeling industry in the early 20th century)”, pp.237-260, Masaki Nakabayashi and Shingo Ishiguro, eds., Hikaku Seido Bunseki Nyuumon (An Introduction to Comparative Institutional Analysis), Tokyo: Yuuhikaku, December, 2010.
- “The rise of a Japanese fiscal state,” in Bartolome Yun-Casalilla and Patrick K. O'Brien with Francisco Comin Comin, eds., The Rise of Fiscal States:A Global History, 1500-1914, Cambridge University Press 2012, pp. 378-409, 2012.
- Masaki Nakabayashi, ed., Nippon Keizai no Nagai Kindaika: Tochi to Shijo, Soshite Soshiki, 1600-1970 (Long wave of Modernization in the Japanese Economy: Governance, Markets, and Organizations, 1600-1970), Nagoya: Nagoya University Press, February 2013.
- “Imposed Efficiency of Treaty Ports: Japanese Industrialization and Western Imperialist Institutions,” Review of Development Economics, 18(2), pp. 254-271, May 2014.
- “Kigyou no Keizaigaku, (Economics of the Firm),”(with Shingo Ishiguro) pp.1-22, “Ginou no Syuutoku to Nouryoku no Gakusyuu,” pp.189-220, Masaki Nakabayashi and Shingo Ishiguro, eds., Kigyou no Keizaigaku:Kouzou to Seichou (Economics of the Firm: Structure and Dynamics), Tokyo: Yuuhikaku, December, 2014.
|Graduate School of Economics, The University of Tokyo||Economic History of Japan I
Economic History of Japan II
|Faculty of Business & Commerce, Keio University||Topics in Modern Firm Management: The Firm Organization|
|Faculty of Economics, Graduate School of Economics, Keio University||Economic History of Japan A
Economic History of Japan B