|Division||Department of Comparative Contemporary Economics|
|Research fields||Economic History, Business History, Comparative Institutional Analysis|
Teaching and Research Appointments
|April 2014 -||Professor, Institute of Social Science, The University of Tokyo|
|April 2008 - March 2014||Associate Professor, Institute of Social Science, The University of Tokyo|
|April 2002 - March 2008||Associate Professor, Graduate School of Economics, Osaka University.|
|April 1999 - August 2002||Associate Professor, Department of Economics, Chiba University.|
|April 1998 - March 1999||Research Associate, Graduate School of Economics, The University of Tokyo.|
|April 1995 - March 1998||JSPS Fellow.|
Topics of research
- 1Economic history
- 2Business history
- 3Comparative institutional analysis
Publications (2015- )
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- “Reimeiki no Kigyoutouti no Hou to Keizai:Toukyoukabusikitorihikijyo Jyoujyoukigyou no Zaimu to Touti to Kabuka,” pp.187-209, Wataru Tanaka and Masaki Nakabayashi, eds., Kigyoutouti no Hou to Keizai:Hikakuseidobunseki no Shiten de Miru Gavanansu (Law and Economics of Corporate Governance:A Comparative Institutional Analysis), Tokyo: Yuuhikaku, April, 2015.
Selected publications ( -2014)
- “Agrarian Land Tenancy in Prewar Japan: Contract Choice and Implications on Productivity,’ (with Arimoto, Yutaka, Tetsuji Okazaki) The Developing Economies, 48 (3), pp. 293-318, 2010.
- “Seisan Soshiki to Roudou Soshiki to Kigyou Bunka”, pp.55-79, Takeshi Abe and Naofumi Nakamura, eds., Koza Nihon Keieishi 2: Sangyou Kakumei to Kigyou Keiei: 1882〜1914 (Business History of Japan 2, Management in the Industrial Revolution, 1882-1914), Kyoto: Minerva, February, 2010.
- Satoshi Sasaki and Masaki Nakabayashi, eds., Koza Nihon Keieishi 3: Soshiki to Senryaku no Jidai: 1914-1937 (Business History of Japan 3, The Era of Strategy and Structure, 1914-1937), Kyoto: Minerva, September, 2010.
- “Sangyou Shuuseki no Soshiki: Kiryu Orimonogyou ni okeru Oeimoto to Chinbata no Torihiki Kankei, (Organizations in a industrial cluster: Putting-out system in the Kiryu weaving cluster”, pp.201-217, “Tajigenteki na Shigoto to Yuuin no Seigyo: 20 Seiki Shotou ni okeru Kindai Seishigyou no Keiekn (Multidimensional tasks and incentive controls: An experience in the modern silk reeling industry in the early 20th century)”, pp.237-260, Masaki Nakabayashi and Shingo Ishiguro, eds., Hikaku Seido Bunseki Nyuumon (An Introduction to Comparative Institutional Analysis), Tokyo: Yuuhikaku, December, 2010.
- “The rise of a Japanese fiscal state,” in Bartolome Yun-Casalilla and Patrick K. O'Brien with Francisco Comin Comin, eds., The Rise of Fiscal States:A Global History, 1500-1914, Cambridge University Press 2012, pp. 378-409, 2012.
- Masaki Nakabayashi, ed., Nippon Keizai no Nagai Kindaika: Tochi to Shijo, Soshite Soshiki, 1600-1970 (Long wave of Modernization in the Japanese Economy: Governance, Markets, and Organizations, 1600-1970), Nagoya: Nagoya University Press, February 2013.
- “Imposed Efficiency of Treaty Ports: Japanese Industrialization and Western Imperialist Institutions,” Review of Development Economics, 18(2), pp. 254-271, May 2014.
- “Kigyou no Keizaigaku, (Economics of the Firm),”(with Shingo Ishiguro) pp.1-22, “Ginou no Syuutoku to Nouryoku no Gakusyuu,” pp.189-220, Masaki Nakabayashi and Shingo Ishiguro, eds., Kigyou no Keizaigaku:Kouzou to Seichou (Economics of the Firm: Structure and Dynamics), Tokyo: Yuuhikaku, December, 2014.
Educational Activities in 2016
|Graduate School of Economics, The University of Tokyo||Institutional Analysis of Japanese Economy I
Institutional Analysis of Japanese Economy II
|Faculty of Business & Commerce, Keio University||Topics in Modern Firm Management: The Firm Organization|
|Faculty of Economics, Graduate School of Economics, Keio University||Economic History of Japan A
Economic History of Japan B
|Faculty of Economics, Komazawa University||Introductory Economics b|