|Division||Department of Comparative
|Research fields||Chinese Economy|
Teaching and Research Appointments
|April 2001 − March 2007||Associate Professor, Institute of Social Science, The University of Tokyo|
|November 2005 − December 2005||Visiting Scholar, Institut d'Asie Orientale, CNRS, France|
|April 2007 −||Professor, Institute of Social Science, The University of Tokyo|
Topics of research
- 1Studies on Industrial Clusters in China
- 2Studies on Electronics and Automobile Industries
- 3Studies on Renewable Energy Industries
- 4Studies on Japanese-Sino Economic Relations
- “Industrial Groups and Division of Labor in China's Automobile Industry”, The Developing Economies, 33(3), Institute of Developing Economies, September 1995, pp.330-355.
- The Dynamics of Market Development: Chinese Economy in Transition (in Japanese) IDE-JETRO, April 1999.
- “The Contradictions of Enterprise Groups: A Case Study of the FAW Group”, China Perspectives, 23, French Center for Research on Contemporary China, May-June 1999, pp.18-26.
- “The Chinese Television Industry: an example of gradual transition”, Jiang Xiaojuan (ed.), China’s Industries in Transition: Organizational Change, Efficiency Gains, and Growth Dynamics, Nova Science Publishers, 2001, pp.57-81.
- “Japanese FDI and China's Industrial Development in the Automobile, Electronics and Textile Industries”, Hanns Gunther Hilpert and Rene Haak (eds.), Japan and China: Cooperation, Competition and Conflict, Basingstoke, Palgrave, April 2002, pp.174-193.
- Tectonic Shifts in China's Labor Market (in Japanese), Nagoya University Press, Nov. 2002. （Masayoshi Ohira Memorial Prize）
- “Towards a Strategic Realignment of Production Networks: Japanese Electronics Companies in China”, Rene Haak and Dennis S. Tachiki (eds.), Regional Strategies in a Global Economy: Multinational Corporations in East Asia, Indicium Verlag, 2004, pp.99-118.
- “Evolutionary Privatization in China”, Costas Lapavistsas and Makoto Noguchi (eds.), Beyond Market-driven Development: Drawing On The Experience Of Asia And Latin America (Routledge Studies in Development Economics), Abingdon, Routledge, September 2005, pp.136-149.
- “The Supplier Network in China's Automobile Industry From a Geographic Perspective”, Modern Asian Studies Review, 1(1), March 2006, pp.77-102.
- Contemporary Chinese Industries: The Strengths and Weaknesses of Rising Chinese Firms (in Japanese), Chuo Koron, May 2007.
- Can We Live without ‘Made in China’? The Truth of Sino-Japanese Trade Relations (in Japanese), PHP, November 2009.
- “Why Japanese multinationals failed in the Chinese mobile phone market: a comparative study of new product development in Japan and China” Asia Pacific Business Review Vol.15, No.3 July 2009, pp.411-431.
- “The Emergence of Industrial Clusters in Wenzhou, China” in Bernard Ganne and Yveline Lecler eds. Asian Industrial Clusters, Global Competitiveness and New Policy Initiatives , World Scientific, Singapore, 2009, pp.213-237.
- “Regionalism and nationalism in the information technology industry: A comparison of East Asia and Europe” in Tamio Nakamura ed. East Asian Regionalism from a Legal Perspective, Current features and a vision for the future, Routledge, Abington, 2009, pp.25-42.
- “Vertical Disintegration versus Vertical Integration: Some Reflections on the Rise of Chinese Household Electronics Industry” in Tetsuo Abo ed.Competing Chinese and Foreign Firms in Swelling Chinese Economy LIT Verlag, Berlin, 2010, pp. 197-212.
- “Technology Acquisition by Indigenous Firms: The Case of the Chinese and Indian Automobile Industries” (in Moriki Ohara, M. Vijayabaskar, and Hong Lin eds.) Industrial Dynamics in China and India: Firms, Clusters, and Different Growth Paths. Palgrave Macmillan, Oct. 2011, pp. 63-79.
- The History of Sino-Japanese Relations 1972-2012: Economic Relations (co-edited with Kenji Hattori, in Japanese), University of Tokyo Press, 2012.
- “Bilateral Trade and Trade Frictions between China and Japan, 1972-2012” Eurasian Geography and Economics, Vol.53, No.4, 2012, pp.442-456.
- Chinese Dream: China's Mass Capitalism will Change the World (in Japanese), Tokyo: Chikuma, 2013.
- Contemporary Chinese Economy (in Japanese), Tokyo: Yuhikaku, 2013.
- China's Outward Foreign Direct Investment Data (Co-edited with Asei Ito and Yongqi Zhang), ISS Contemporary Chinese Research Series No. 15, Institute of Social Science, University of Tokyo, March 2014.
- “Why are There So Many Automobile Manufacturers in China?” China: An International Journal, Vol.11, No.2, 2013, pp.170-185.
- “Japan's High-Technology Trade with China and Its Export Control” Journal of East Asian Studies, Vol.13, No.3. 2013, pp.483-502.
- Lectures on Contemporary China for Citizens, (co-edited with Akio Takahara and Asei Ito)(in Japanese), Tokyo: University of Tokyo Press, 2014.
- “Diminishing Returns to High-Tech Standards Wars: China's Strategies in Mobile Communications Technology”, National Bureau of Asian Research Working Paper, August 2014, pp.1-20.
- “The "make or buy" decision and supply-chain governance”, in Mariko Watanabe ed. The Disintegration of Production: Firm Strategy and Industrial Development in China, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 2014. pp.51-73.
- “Will China Continue to be a 'State Capitalism'?“『Journal of Chinese Economic Studies』（Japanese Association for Chinese Economy and Management Studies）Vol.12, No.1,pp.1-11.
- " 'Catch-Down' Innovation in Developing Countries". in Yukihito Sato, Hajime Sato ed. Varieties and Alternatives of Catching-up: Asian Development in the Context of the 21st Century. London: Palgrave MacMillan, 2016, pp.183-210. DOI 10.1057.978-1-137-59780-9_7
- “The Economic Nexus between China and Emerging Economies" Journal of Contemporary East Asia Studies. Vol.6, No.1, pp.29-41, April 2017.http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/24761028.2017.1312755
- “Regional unemployment disparities in China" Economic Systems Vol.41, No.2, pp.203-214.May 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecosys.2016.11.002
|Graduate School of Economics, University of Tokyo||East Asian Industries
|Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo||Chinese Economy|
|School of Arts and Sciences, University of Tokyo||Political Economics II|
|Graduate School of Asia-Pacific Studies, Waseda University||Chinese Economy|
|School of Arts and Sciences, Tokyo Women's Christian University||Chinese Economy|