update at 18 April 2017
|Division||Department of Comparative Contemporary Economics|
|Research fields||Organizational economics, labor economics, industrial organization|
Teaching and Research Appointments
|July 1999 − March 2006||Assistant Professor, John M. Olin School of Business, Washington University|
|April 2006 − August 2009||Professor, Graduate School of International Management, Aoyama Gakuin University|
|April 2007 − March 2008||Visiting Professor, Institute of Social Science, Hitotsubashi University|
|May 2008 − March 2011||Research Associate, Institute of Innovation Research, Hitotsubashi University|
|September 2009 − March 2010||Associate Professor, Institute of Social Science, The University of Tokyo|
|March 2011 − March 2012||Visiting Scholar, Graduate School of Business, Stanford University|
|April 2010 −||Professor, Institute of Social Science, The University of Tokyo|
Publications (2014- )
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- “The Impact of Group Contract and Governance Structure on Performance?Evidence from College Classrooms,” (with Zeynep Hansen, Jie Pan, and Shinya Sugawara), Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, 30(3): 463-492, 2014.
- “The Impact of Group Diversity on Class Performance?Evidence from College Classrooms, ” (with Zeynep Hansen, and Jie Pan), Education Economics, 23(2): 238-258, 2015.
“How Should Teams Be Formed and Managed?
IZA World of Labor.
- “Incentives and Gaming in a Nonlinear Compensation Scheme: Evidence from North American Auto Dealership Transaction Data, ” (with Tsuyoshi Tsuru and Katsuhito Uehara), forthcoming in Evidence-based HRM: a global forum for empirical scholarship
- “Designing Organizations and Human Resource Systems (in Japanese), ” in Mijikana Gimon Ga Tokeru Keizaigaku, September 2014.
- “Product Market and Workplace Organization (in Japanese), ” in Kigyo no Keizaigaku, December 2014.
- “Roles of Middle-Managers and Evaluation (in Japanese), ” in Kigyo Tochi no Ho to Keizai, March 2015.
Selected publications ( -2013)
- “Team Incentives and Worker Heterogeneity: An Empirical Analysis of the Impact of Teams on Productivity and Participation,” (with Barton H. Hamilton and Jack A. Nickerson), Journal of Political Economy, v111, n3, 465-497, June 2003.
- “Are Supply and Plant Inspections Complements or Substitutes? A Strategic and Operational Assessment of Inspection Practices in Biotechnology,” (with Kyle Mayer and Jack A. Nickerson), Management Science, Vol. 50,No.8: pp.1064-81, August 2004.
- “Promotion, Turnover, Earnings and Firm-Sponsored Training,” Journal of Labor Economics, Vol.22, No.4: pp.955-978, October 2004.
- “Strategic Management of R&D Pipelines with Cospecialized Investments and Technology Markets,” (with Tat Chan and Jack A. Nickerson), Management Science, Vol.53, No.4: pp.667-682, April 2007.
- “Market Characteristics, Intra-Firm Coordination, and the Choice of Human Resource Management Systems: Theory and Evidence,” (with Takao Kato) , Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 80: pp.375-396, 2011.
- “Specialization, Multiskilling and Allocation of Decision Rights,” Advances in the Economic Analysis of Participatory and Labor-Managed Firms, Volume 12, pp.3-34, 2011.
- “Diversity and Productivity in Production Teams,” Barton Hamilton, Jackson Nickerson, and Hideo Owan, Advances in the Economic Analysis of Participatory and Labor-Managed Firms, Volume 13, pp.99-138, 2012.
- “Seller-Buyer Ethnic Matches : The Case of Car Transactions at Two North American Auto Dealerships,” Hideo Owan, Tsuyoshi Tsuru & Katsuhito Uehara, Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Vol.53, No.2, 2012.
- “Autonomy, Conformity, and Organizational Learning,” (with Nobuyuki Hanaki) , Administrative Sciences, Vol.3(3), 32-52, 2014.
Topics of research
- (1) Empirical Studies of Contract Theory: Incentives and Multitasking Agency Problem
- (2) Functions of Internal Labor Market and the Effect of Human Resource Management Practices
- (3) Empirical Studies of Innovative Productivity
- (4) Employee Stock Ownership and Productivity
- (5) Labor Market of Professors and the Impact of Grant Policy
Educational Activities in 2015
|Graduate School of Economics, The University of Tokyo||Personnel and Organizational Economics|
|Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo||Personnel and Organizational Economics|