update at 24 Apr. 2015
|Division||Department of Comparative Contemporary Economics|
|Research fields||Business and Economic History|
Teaching and Research Appointments
|April 1994 − March 1996||Research Associate, Institute of Social Science, The University of Tokyo|
|April 1996 − March 2002||Associate Professor, Faculty of Economic, Saitama University|
|April 2002 − March 2010||Associate Professor, Institute of Social Science, The University of Tokyo|
|November 2003 − January 2004||Visiting Professor, School of East Asian Study, University of Sheffield, UK|
|March 2007 − March 2008||Visiting Senior Fellow, Department of Economic History,London School of Economics and Political Science, UK|
|April 2010 −||Professor, Institute of Social Science, The University of Tokyo|
|April 2010 − May 2010||Visiting Professor, L'Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, Paris, France|
Publications (2014- )
- Mochiba no Kibou-gaku: Kamaishi to Shinsai, Mouhitotsu no Kioku (Social Sciences of Hope, People in Charge: Kamaishi, Earthquake Disaster, and Another Memory), (with Yuji Genda), Tokyo: University of Tokyo Press, December 2014, pp. 1-423.
- Kibou no Kyoyu wo mezashite: Seiren Keiei-shi (Having Hope in Common: A Business History of Seiren Co.), (with Seiren Co. ), Fukui: Seiren Co., March 2015, pp. 1-503.
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- “Reconsidering the Japanese Industrial Revolution: Local Entrepreneurs in the Cotton Textile Industry during the Meiji Era”, Social Science Japan Journal Vol.18-1, January 2015. pp. 23-44
- “Shisan Tokushu-sei to Kigyo no Kyoukai (Asset Specificity and Boundaries of Firms)”, M.Nakabayashi and S.Ishiguro eds., Kigyo no Keizaigaku (Economics of the Firm: Structure and Dynamics), Tokyo: Yuhikaku, December 2014, pp. 101-119.
- “Kigyo no Baibai to Kyokai: Tagawa-Saitan, Houshu-Tetsudo, and Mitsui-Tagawa (Buy-out and Boundaries of Firms: Tagawa Coal Mining Co., Hoshu Railway, and Mitsui Mining Co.)”, W.Tanaka and M.Nakabayashi eds., Kigyo-tochi no Hou to Keizai (Law and Economics of Corporate Governance: A Comparative Institutional Analysis), Tokyo: Yuhikaku, March 2015, pp. 131-153.
- “Keiei-shi to Chiiki Hatten (Regional Development and Business History)”, Keiei-shi Gakkai ed. Keiei-shigaku no 50-nen (A Half-century of Japanese Business History), Tokyo: Nihon Keizai Hyoron-sha, March 2015, pp. 33-41.
- “Kamaishi-chiiki niokeru 'Kaihatsu' to Kibou no Saisei (Development of the Kamaishi area and Rebirth of Hope)”, T.Matsumoto ed. Touhoku-chiho Kaihatsu no Keifu (A History of Development of the Touhoku Area), Tokyo: Akashi Shoten, March 2015, pp. 134-160.
Selected Publications ( -2013)
- Nihon Tetsudo-gyo no keisei (The Formation of Japanese Railway Industry, 1869—1894), Tokyo: Nihon Keizai Hyoron-sha, 1998, pp.1-401.
- “The Formation of a Railway Transportation System in Japan’s Railway Industry”, Japanese Yearbook on Business History, 16: pp.31-61, Business History Society of Japan, March 2000.
- “Meiji-Era Industrialization and Provincial Vitality: The Significance of the First Enterprising Boom of the 1880s”, Social Science Japan Journal, 3(2), Oxford University Press: Oxford: pp.187-205, October 2000.
- “The Present State of Research on Zaibatu: The Case of Mitsubishi”, Social Science Japan Journal, 5(2): pp.233-242, Oxford University Press: Oxford, October 2002.
- “Merchants’ Investment in Securities and the Enterprise Boom; the Case of the House of Sotaro Hiromi”, Japanese Research in Business History, 23: pp. 35-57, 2006.
- “Personnel management and the formation of modern business organization; the railway industry in Japan before the First World War”, Tetsuji Okazaki (ed.), Production Organizations in Japanese Economic Development, London: Routledge: pp.75-109, January 2007.
- “Hopology-the Kamaishi Research”, Social Science Japan, 36, Tokyo: Institute of Social Science, University of Tokyo: pp.6-8, March 2007.
- Sangyo-kakumei to Kigyo-keiei (The Industrial Revolution and Business Activity in Japan), Japanese Business History Vol.2, Kyoto: Minerva Sho-bo, 2010, pp.1-387. (coedited with Takeshi Abe)
- Chiho karano Sangyo-kakumei (Local Perspectives on Japanese Industrial Revolution), Nagoya: Nagoya University Press, 2010, pp.1-401.
- Japan's Shrinking Regions in the 21st Century: Contemporary Responses to Depopulation and Socioeconomic Decline (P. Matanle and A. Rausch with the Shrinking Regions Research Group), New York: Cambria Press. August 2011，530pages. (Chapter5(pp.220-227) and Chapter8(pp.319-327)).
- “Getting on a Train: Railway Passengers and the Growth of Train Travel in Meiji Japan” (in P.Francks and J.Hunter eds.), The Historical Consumer: Consumption and Everyday Life in Japan, 1850-2000, London: Palgrave Macmillan, January 2012, pp. 207-234.
- “Railway Engineer’s Group in the Early Meiji Japan.” Japanese Research in Business History, Vol.28. 2012 pp. 11-33.
- “Social Science of Hope, The Fukui Research Project” Social Science Japan, vol.46, March 2012, pp.11-14.
- “Railway and Government in Meiji Japan: With a Focus on Nationalisation”, ISS Discussion Paper F-161, June 2012, pp.1-23.
- “Okura-gumi New York Shiten no shido to Tstsudo-youhin Torihiki (Trade of Railway Materials and Okura & Co. in New York)”, Uyeyama K. and Kikkawa Y. eds., Senzen-ki Hokubei no Nihon Shousha (Japanese Trading Companies in US during Pre-World War Second), Tokyo: Nihon Keizai Hyoron-sha, March 2013, pp. 207-237.
Topics of research
- (1) A historical study of the railway industry in modern Japan
- (2) Local Perspectives on Japanese Industrial Revolution
- (3) Oral histories of managers and labors in Post-war Japan
Educational Activities in 2015
|Graduate School of Economics, The University of Tokyo||Industrial History, Introduction to Japanese Historical Archives|
|Graduate School of Letters, Keio University||Special Topics in Japanese History|